Where: At Brook End LAND Centre Compton Dundon, Near Street & Glastonbury
What: Avalon Wildflower Park is a new community project opposite the Red Brick Building. The former BMX track, now overgrown, is unloved and neglected. Our vision is to transform it into a haven of native plants, buzzing with life. We want to create a beautiful, fun and ecologically vibrant learning and community space.
As part of this project we have organised a course about planting for pollinators. Pollinating insects need our help!
About the Course
• Learn which plant families are useful to pollinating insects
• How to make your growing space more pollinator- friendly.
• Learn about how to provide food plants, colour schemes that bees can ‘see’, the best flower shapes, plants for a longer flowering season and growing refuges for overwintering insects.
• Learn how to design beautiful borders, beetle banks and other wildlife features, such as bee ‘hotels’
• Learn how to encourage solitary bees to breed in your growing space and will look at natural bee keeping methods.
Cost: The course is free for adults in receipt of state benefits, otherwise £10-£50 donation. Bring lunch to share. Booking essential.