Feed Avalon recognises that participatory, practical and political education will play a major role in transforming our food systems.
We organise courses, workshops, field trips, practical experiences, and ongoing learning opportunities to support our community to re-skill in all areas of food production.
We celebrate popular education, where everyone is a student and everyone is a teacher. Our teaching styles are more like facilitators – we aim to create empowering, participatory and fun learning environments.
Members of Feed Avalon have extensive experience in designing, organising and delivering, workshops and courses around food production. This varies from one-off, short workshops, to 6 month long courses in community horticulture, and ongoing tutor support.
Workshops, courses & learning opportunities we can offer include:
- Access to land
- Communicating in groups & consensus decision making
- Community Horticulture
- Community Organising
- Container gardening
- Ecological design & permaculture
- Effective outreach & organising
- Forest Gardening
- Food Politics
- Food Poverty
- Fruit Tree planting, care & pruning
- Grassroots fundraising
- Growing salads & vegetables
- Growing soft fruit
- Harvesting & storing food
- How to start a food cooperative
- Mapping food sheds
- Marketing Gardening
- Medicinal landscaping
- Nutritional herbalism
- Permaculture Design, including delivering full design courses & ongoing Diploma Tutoring
- Seed sovereignty & corporate control of seeds
- Seed Sowing & propagation
- Social (in)justice in our food systems
- Soil care
- Starting a community garden
- Starting a community orchard
- Starting Community Supported Agriculture Projects
- Sustaining Healthy Groups
- Therapeutic horticulture
- Understanding corporate control of the food system
- What is Food Sovereignty?
- Wild food walks
We try to focus our education locally, but are available to travel elsewhere if needed. For work beyond our main area of focus, we value a donation towards our work so we can continue to achieve our aims locally.
For anything education related, please email firstname.lastname@example.org